Wow, it feels incredibly strange to type the words! If you’re reading this, I’m huddled in a ball somewhere weeping. Just kidding! That’s what I did when I turned 30. But no, today I’m 35!
People always remark how great it is to be in their 30’s. I’d always blocked said commentary because let’s face it, personal anecdotes about getting older are never any fun.
Today I’m officially in my mid-thirties – feeling more confident, increasingly self-aware, and willing to hear someone out on a boring story. Above all, I’m more comfortable in my own skin than I was at 27 or even just a couple of years ago.
No doubt I could wake up in a few days completely freaking out (will someone check on me?), but if I do, I hope I have the good sense to revisit the list below and take a nap, or have a snack, then go outside and dance around in the sunshine.
In celebration of my birthday, here are 35 things I’ve learned in my 35 years.
- 1. Don’t sweat the small stuff. And it’s all small stuff.
2. Artificial anything just ain’t worth it.
3. Except it’s okay to sometimes not know your real hair color.
4. Don’t forget to get out of your comfort zone.
5. And sometimes wherever you go, there you are.
6. It’s okay to stay in on Friday night. Or on Saturday night. Or both.
7. Always know your limits. Respect your boundaries.
8. You can re-invent yourself at any time.
9. And never ever stop evolving.
10. Just don’t evolve into an asshole.
11. And never accept a job offer where you’ll be working with assholes.
12. After all, the geek shall inherit the earth.
13. So make an effort to constantly fill your key cups – family, friends, community, work, and self.
14. Don’t forget that age doesn’t matter…
15. …But make sure to always respect your elders.
16. Reading and writing is good for the soul.
17. Sending someone a hand-written note yields little investment and high return.
18. But seriously, one cookie won’t hurt.
19. Or two.
20. Always be yourself, no matter what.
21. And try to live outside of…you know.
22. Good sneakers and sunglasses are key.
23. Warm socks and gloves in winter time always.
24. Fashion and style are distinctly different things.
25. Fill your home with all your favorite sights, sounds, and smells.
26. A few tasteful items will always trump lots of random shit.
27. But it’s okay to splurge on the good stuff.
28. Be around kind people who make you laugh. Or think. Ideally, both.
29. Always remember that regular exercise is totally worth it.
30. And meditation can literally rewire the brain.
31. Be kind to the world and the world will be kind to you in return.
32. Everyone should also have a sports team they believe in.
33. A lot of music from the past 5 years is pretty much derivative.
34. Still it’s important to have a go-to album for any mood.
35. Never mind the bollocks.